Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 2009 10:43:02 EDT
I write what you are about to read, because we are the moms and dads to
our fur children. or we are shelter volunteers or responsible for many
wee lives. We need to take care of ourselves to be able to care for the
helpless ones in our care.

I was Just at an all day seminar by Institute for Natural Resources,
a non-profit scientific organization dedicated to research and ed. in
fields of science and medicine. To keep up on the most reliable info
on Novel N1H1 Influenza A virus, go to http://www.CDC.gov
We need to stay informed to make intelligent decisions. And this virus
is called Novel because it is a new one we still know very little
about.

It is believed that come a month from now, when children and college
ladies and gentlemen go back to school, we will see a large increase
in this virus in the population.@ *And there is no vaccine for it.* @
Now, don't panic. It has not been found to be spread to cats or dogs.

Ferret testing was not known of by the delightful Dr. that held this
seminar. But you most likely...at this time...cannot give your ferret
this virus. Viruses are survivors...like little super men. They can
mutate to adapt to what we throw at them. So this could change.

Over the years of emailing many of you here, I have discovered that
lots of folks here are medically compromised. You will be more at risk
for becoming seriously ill. Be aware that despite the apparent fact
that there are only 94,500 lab confirmed cases of Novel N1H1, many of
the tests come back with false negatives and positives. It is done by
rapid testing, a most inaccurate test. So we really don't know what
the accurate numbers are.

We guess that there is 7 to 10 days where people with the virus are
contagious, beginning a day before symptoms appear. The test needed
is Real Time Reverse Transcriptase or RT-PCR. It targets
hemagglutiningene. It will test positive for Influenza A, yet negative
for H1 and H3. We do not know why.

You may wish to discuss a shot for pneumonia. Get your latest virus
shot update to at least have a chance of not getting anything else.
STAY hydrated. EXERCISE. Eat fruits. Get DEEP non-drugged sleep. If you
are a teacher working with young children or in the health care field,
take your clothes off and put in plastic bag or wash immediately. The
virus is believed to be able to be picked up off your clothes or door
knobs, etc. up to 48 hours. WASH those hands. Then do it some more
before eating vegetables and drinking more fluids.

Pregnant women are at higher risk for complications from influenza
viruses. Moms to be...oseltamirvir (Tamifflu) is the preferred
treatment for pregnant women. But don't do it unnecessarily.

We don't want this virus to mutate. So don't take Tamifflu just
because. Clinical presentation is fever, sore throat, myalgias,
frontal/retro orbital headache that is usually severe, rhinitis,
weakness and SEVERE fatigue to prevent normal activities, like
changing litter boxes and cleaning cages. Read up on other possible
symptoms on-line.

And here is a new one...throw out your pillows and tooth brushes when
you are over the flu. Many physicians may know little to nothing about
this viral epidemic, Dr. at seminar told us. To test, you want a nasal
or throat swab or bronchial aspirate. **You need a swab with aluminum
or plastic shaft and SYNTHETIC tip. ** Don't even go in for a test if
your Dr. does not have the correct swab. I called my Dr. office. They
had NO idea. Better call your physician and ask now. May help many
people that way.

So, don't panic. Stay informed. Stay healthy. Keep yourself strong.
It is your best chance to fight this. The lady I sat next to in
the seminar lost her son last year. He was only 19 and committed
suicide. Her husband divorced her 3 years ago. She injured herself
and has been on serious pain med's for 5 years.

She said she hoped she got this thing and died. But she just rescued a
cat and has to stay alive now to take care of it. I have met a number
of you who suffer from chronic pain who fight similar feelings that
overwhelm you. But you have your babies to take care of guys. They
truly need you. Stay strong for them, if not for yourself.

Shelter operators...get a game plan to prevent people bringing this
thing accross your door step and into your sanctuary. I wish you all
the best. Virus can linger for 48 hours on surfaces, including the
fur of the ferret, most likely. So know that this is possible when
you take in a ferret and its toys and bedding.

[Moderator's note: Thanks, Lisette, for the news from the front :-)
I feel compelled to offer a somewhat opposing viewpoint though. This
is pretty off-topic as far as ferrets go, but relevant to your post.
1) A vaccine for H1N1 is fully expected to be available by late this
year. (As usual with vaccines, not everyone is happy about that.) And
2) There seems to be quite some controversy over the seriousness of the
virus to begin with. I say these things not necessarily to make light
of the problem but to suggest civilization isn't going to end because
of H1N1. Your "Keep yourself strong" advice is can't be argued! BIG]