Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2007 11:23:40 EDT
I have a suggestion for you that worked for me before I installed a
permanent door. It only works if you use a framed door (like one for
a bedroom). I used a regular, inexpensive, baby gate. The kind with
the pressure bar so it fits different sized doorways. Put the gate on
the outside of the door frame (so it's still on the frame but, if you
wanted to you could close the door). Then get a piece of plyboard (I
used Wainscoting because it was "finished" so no splinters and they
couldn't scratch it up. It's also very lightweight). Measure the width
of your door before you go to the store. When you buy the Wainscoting
(about $8.00 at Lowe's) they will cut it for you for free. Just tell
them the width you want. You can also have the length cut if you want
to. (I believe it comes in 4' lengths). When you get it home, just
slide it between the gate and the door jam. The door jam keeps it from
falling forward and the gate keeps it from falling backwards. When you
want to go in, you just lift the Wainscoting out and step over the
gate. Be careful when putting it back down as the little ones know they
can climb the gate and go running for it when you lift the Wainscoting.
Sometimes it's hard to get back down because little heads get in the
way. I hope this helps. I also hope I explained it well enough for you
to understand. If not, please, let me know and I will try to explain
better. Good Luck to all.

Paige Collier
Director, Adoptions & Rehabilitation
Richmond Ferret Rescue League