From:
"Megan O'Shaughnessy, D.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 06:53:16 -0800
Hey Meghan!

Know what you mean about litterbox re-training.  My kids are in dire need
of some, too!  My kids were VERY good about the litter boxes to start out
with, and it's kinda gone downhill from there.  Most of the crimes seem to
be committed in the bathroom, right next to the toilet.  (Hmm...maybe they
are trying to toilet train???)

The worst part is that the floor is NOT entirely level (it's an old house)
and so the PEE all runs downhill and collects in the far corner between the
toilet and the tub....I once found a veritable sea back there!  I check
that dang corner SO often when they are out and playing, but it always
seems like someone sneaks in there and leaves one (or three!) puddles and
attendant "presents."

Thank god for linoleum :P

I have tried putting a litter box back in that corner (didn't work), tried
using "puppy pads" (didn't work)....rgggggh!!!  Am about ready to just
surround the entire toilet area with towels and see if that does it... but
someone has decided that towels are okay to poop on if they are in the
bottom floor of the cage, and I'm afraid to encourage that behavior...as I
recently found a poopie on the CARPET, which I never saw before.  Sigh.

I've been trying to watch for them to "pick up a newspaper" and head for
the bathroom, make a quick grab and deposit them in the box, then give them
praise and ferretvite & saying "yes, yes, go potty!" if they go in the
right place (and similarly reward them if they are found doing the right
thing all on their own.) But Grover, the little stinker, will hang out in
the box for a while, then when I'm not looking quick run off and go
poop/pee in the bathroom!!

I did finally go to 3 pans in the bottom floor of the cage (and I not only
scoop frequently but also change the entire litter, every 1-2 days!) and
that is helping the in-cage problem I was having.  I also ditched the
"corner" pan (useless, totally useless!)

>Dean's poops kind of vary in colour and shape.

My kids' do too, especially when they were fighting off some sort of cold.
When Grover was having ulcer problems his poops were VERY dark/black, I am
sure from bleeding; thank goodness they are better now.  Other than keeping
watch for a recurrence of that, I'm less worried @ minor poop variations
these days, so long as there's no slime/bad smell/ etc.

Other than that, the kids are all doing great, Cherry has integrated very
nicely into the group, and Satinka's becoming a shoulder ferret.  Whee!

(WA-state) Megan & the 5 poop-monsters!