From:
FurpeopleWeyr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:09:51 -0800
I travel a lot with our kids. Last year we put on close to 5,000 miles
when we had to go cross country to visit an ageing relative. I do have
an advantage of having a travel trailer for us all to stay in, but when
we are moving everyone is up front in the truck with me.

We use carriers with hammocks, I know not everyone will agree that's a
good idea, a cut out plastic shoe box for a litter box, and the travel
cups Carol was talking about for food and water. We fold towels for
bedding on the floor of the carrier in front of the litter box. Those
plastic boxes work well for litter boxes as long as they fit all the
way across the back and they comes in dozens of sizes. I have a large
dog crate I some times use and there's a cut out CD case in it so try
different areas in the store if you have trouble finding just the right
fit. I use plastic clothes pins to hold the food/water cups in place
for those few ferrets I have that want to play with them. Beside
PetsMart, they can be found at KVVet.com as well as a single cup that
is divided in half for food and water on smaller carriers. They are
listed under kennel accessories.

We also start each trip by filling everyone's water cups half full and
freezing it the night before. The ice melts slowly providing fresh
water and there's less splashing from the movement of the truck.

The carriers are always tied in and down, either seat belts, bungee
cords, or a combination of both. While accidents do happen, they don't
happen often to us as individuals, but how many times in a week do you
have to stop suddenly or swerve to avoid an accident? Tying in those
carriers is not only a safety concern, it just makes good sense.

And something I haven't seen mentioned before...... if you have sick
kids, and who doesn't, and are traveling, then a letter from your vet
explaining your relationship (been a client for 5 yrs, very good caring
for sickies, can give sub q meds, etc) and their contact information
can save your hide in an emergency. Any vet, even dog/cat, is going to
feel more confident of your skills as a care taker when you can show
them such a letter, and maybe more confident of their skills, if they
are not exotics vets and there are more places without them than with,
while talking to your doctor on the phone. In the last 16yrs its saved
me twice.

Just my two cents.

Brenda, Momma to the FurpeopleWeyr
FurpeopleWeyr.com