From:
Ferret Nook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:05:39 -0600
I have to disagree with the statement "Adrenal Glad Disease in only seen
in neutered ferrets." Dudley was one of my personal ferrets and was
taken in to the University of Wisconsin Vet Med Teaching Hospital on
an emergency basis in the late 90's.  He was over 5 years old and still
intact.  Dudley had his annual checkup a month earlier and one afternoon
he went into Grand Mal Seizures.  We rushed him in and they stabilized
him and after all the battery of tests, he was diagnosed as having
Adrenal Disease along with Insulinoma!  Dudley had surgery and they
removed both adrenals, a large insulinoma, and castrated him at the
same time!  (I'll never do that again!)

I believe that when a ferret is still intact, they mask the symptoms of
the disease, i.e., hair loss, aggression, etc.  It may be rarer in intact
animals, but it definitely can develop.

Kathy Fritz, Executive Director
The Ferret Nook Ferret Shelter
Cambridge, WI 53523