From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:17:23 EDT
Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<acme ferret and peta links clipped>
>Everything you find there is a matter of public record and stands
>uncontested to this day, even by MF.
>If you can silence every opinion that you don't want to hear, your forum
>is no longer a forum.  It's just a propaganda machine, tailored to your
>specifications.

Uncontested?  I don't believe that is entirely accurate.  I believe that the
information on the first two links you supplied has been contested here in
the past.  And if I recall correctly, you were in one of the more recent
debates about the material.  (A browse through the archives should prove
fruitful.) Given this information, the statement that the data on the links
in question has been uncontested is false.  No flame intended - just a
statement of fact.

As for Peta, I'm not going to get into an animals rights discussion which is
off-topic for the FML, but their methods have left much to be desired in the
past.  I view any information coming from them as potentially being suspect.
If it was a Humane Society page you referenced, I might have a different
opinion.  Their actions have done more to inspire respect and trust.

Oh by the way, unless PETA has changed their tune recently you do know that
one of PETA's goals is the erradication of *ALL* pets and companion animals -
ferrets included, don't you?  They feel this sort of "slavery" is unfair
to these animals and no more should be bred for pet purposes.  Comments
dogs returning back to the "wild" life have foolishly been made.  (That
definately worries me as to what kind of "wild" environment they deem
ferrets could survive in!) I've tracked down one website that includes
these type of anti-pet PETA quotes.  The URL is:
http://www.compulink.co.uk/~embra/armyths.html .  (Skip 3/4's of the way
down the page to find the quotes I speak of - Myth 2.15.)

I think, however, my ferrets would have a differing opinion of their ethical
treatment...ok, don't ask them about treats.  They never feel as though they
get enough!  But you get the idea.  ;)

As far as silencing opinions and a propaganda machine on the FML, I
disagree.  Various opinions expressed in a variety of ways have always been
welcome on the FML.  Sure the moderators (Bill and Chris before him) have
rejected articles that were merely insults and personal attacks.  Sure
they've rejected posts that were clearly off-topic.  And sure they've
rejected posts on *closed* subjects.  Those are the rules we all live by
here.  And those rules help to make this the best electronic forum I have
ever been part of.  It is by far more civilized, informative, and friendly
then any other e-forum I have been seen.  IIRC, I first subscribed to the
FML in 10/94.  And since then, I've never had a complaint with the
moderatership that either Chris or Bill have done.  I've felt that the FML
has consistantly had a moderator who tried to be impartial and fair to all
posters and discussions - regardless of his own personal opinions.  That is
a difficult and commendable accomplishment.

Since information sharing is one of the key tenets of the FML, various sides
to an issue will be presented.  Opposing viewpoints and information on a
given issue does not a propganda machine make.  It is information sharing.
I believe that the FML susbcribers are intelligent enough to determine for
themselves what is truth, fancy, fabrication, propaganda, and facts in the
discussions such as this.  Propaganda is lost on an intelligent and
well-informed audience.

Of course these are my opinions and you need not agree with them.

-kim, squirt (prime minister), pippi (ministry of socks), atlas (ministry of
 defense) and jinx (ministry of double-nip)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.