From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 09:12:59 -0400
Well, I expected more discussion of the CBS news story by now, but maybe
most people missed it.  Fortunately, we were watching the news Friday
evening, and caught it.  Unfortunately, I didn't think to start the tape
running til part way through.

Overall impressions: very positive piece, short on specifics, but long on
cuteness.  Pictures of ferrets licking an arm, napping on a knee, bouncing
about carrying an empty pint ice cream carton, emerging from dryer hose.
Some of the narration was marvelous: John Blackstone talked about the fear
of endangering wildlife while a ferret yawned mightily.  He showed pictures
of "Californians breaking the law"--a smiling toddler with a ferret on her
lap.  There was no mention of rabies or baby-killing.

In a bit of fitting irony, Paula Zahn was anchoring the news, and introduced
the story.  If I recall correctly, she anchored the infamously inflammatory
anti-ferret CSB morning show in May 1995.

I hope someone who caught the whole thing on tape will be able to provide us
with a transcript.

Linda, Richard, Joy, Belle and Caruso