From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 18:05:03 -0500
This past weekend my ferrets made a long-awaited journey with me to my
boyfriend's apartment.  We always thought it would be fun to bring them
for weekend visits, but knew it wasn't set-up for them.  Well, this past
summer when we won a Martin cage (so cool!) at the Ferretwise's
Ferretstock (what fun!) we decided to start the ferretproofing process.
We tightened cabinets, blocked doorways, moved breakables, checked for
spaces around heaters, and got rid of his pull-out couch and recliner
chair.  (he now has one of those super comfy metal futon couches - hee
hee!)

Well the big arrival came, and as my crew of three ran about investigating
I ran around trying to strategically place newspaper down for their
anticipated accidents.  Suddenly in the kitchen my boyfriend (the only one
actually watching what they were doing - I'm not sure when I got so stupid
and poop-obsessed) lunged for Jillie's bum, as her head and upper body
were disappearing into the lower kitchen cabinets.  We had checked to see
if the panel under the cabinets (that four inch space that you can hardly
see) was finished off, but hadn't thoroughly checked along inch by inch to
see if there were any gaps.  I almost lost my Jillie to such carelessness.
It happened so fast, she was safe in his arms just as I was realizing her
predicament, but I can't imagine what would have occured next if he hadn't
grabbed her.  The hole doesn't lead to the cabinet, it goes somewhere into
the building walls.  You can bet I would have been tearing up the cabinet
bottom to get in there with her!

We escaped a tragedy, and after a trip to Home Depot and some drilling his
apartment is now ferret safe (if there is such a thing).  Just wanted to
remind others how thoroughly you have to check a new place before letting
ferrets in.

Our New Year is starting off a lot better than it would have!