From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 15:05:36 -0500
>sounds like she has fluid in her lungs ... gets tired quicker ... walking
>funny ... retardation??

These reminded me greatly of Ruffle's assorted problems.  For those new to
the FML Ruffle was lived with multiple handicaps, dealt with intellectual
impairment, had a good number of allergies, and suffered from multiple
deformities of her skeleton and soft tissues.  With great care she made it
to 6 years old but at that point she had cardiomyopathy, cystic liver,
adrenal and pancreatic problems (the first surgically responsive but the
second also required meds), lesions of multiple organs, etc.  She was the
result of trying to breed for some specialized traits as far as we know.
Bruce Williams has a number of her soft tissues and Bob is studying her
skeleton.  Several possibilities for her problems discussed before folks had
much time to study her well (This is still on going) include XY female,
absorption of a male fetus when in utero, far too much inbreeding, disease
or exposure to some deforming agent in utero or when young, a rare brain
disorder, and some others.  Don't know quite where this stands now.

Chest x-rays certainly ARE called for to eliminate the possibilities of
heart disease as well as infection, either of which MUST be treated.
Allergies should be considered and Benadryl pediatric liquid tried with
vets' approval.  Does her nose run a lot, and if so does she have mast cell
skin tumors or not?

Could you describe her locomotion?  Is it a continuous abberation?  This is
important since the low blood sugar connected to insulinomae will cause on
and off problems.  Is it a waddle?  A stagger?  Are some legs weaker than
others and if so, which ones?  Can she arch her back and how well?  Can she
run?  When she runs is it with a hop or as a skunk would run?

Are any of her legs bowed?  Are they short but her body problems or early
arthritis?

Are there other skeletal aspects which are unusual such as a very short face
for a female?

What leads you to suggest "retardation"?  In Ruffle this impairment was
always markedly obvious but has someone who has extensive experience with
ferret behavior been around her to see if she is impaired in this fashion or
in a sensory way?

You mention canine distemper but does she have the symptoms of that?  (If it
is CD then she needs a mercy shot but I have not heard anything definitive
on that regard.)  Please, get in touch with us.  If this little one has
Ruffle's types of problems she is going to need a lot of special care and we
can either help you or another who wants to tackle such things, or if she is
not down with an infectious disease and is ECE free but is suffering from
multiple handicaps we'd be happy to provide a home with experience in long
term maintenance of such individuals.  Our phone number is 1-908-580-0506,
and our address is 172 Jamestown Road, Basking Ridge, N.J.  07920.

Sukie and Steve Crandall