From:
The Ferretously Funky One <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:36:30 -0500
>From:    Jason Hershcopf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Biting Kits

My first ferret, Tasslehoff, was the only ferret in the store who did not
nip or bite -- she was a sweetheart her whole life and only displayed
aggression when introduced to my second ferret, Marmalade.  Marm came from a
breeder and she too was a sweetie who never even nipped.

When my boyfriend and I decided to bring Ferret Joy into the house once
again we checked out the local pet stores and were discouraged because the
kits were such awful biters.  We ended up driving three hours (one way) to
find two sweet-natured kits who never once bit or nipped either of us in the
store.

Those two were smart sales-ferrets!  They didn't start nipping and biting
until we got them home.  (Maybe Marshall Farms breeds for "marketing
know-how"?  *grin*)

Now we spend more time nip-training than litter-box-training... Our male,
Kili, is usually pretty good unless he is in a particularly hyper mood.
This morning he gave me two nice purple welts when he decided to latch on to
the palm of my hand and not let go.  (He didn't break the skin and the
purple is hardly noticable now :)

Bumblebee, the little female, is one of those lick-lick-CHOMP types and will
literally gnaw at your knuckles if you give her the chance.

They are both learning what the word "NO!" means (and "YIKES!" and
"OUCH!"..) so I think eventually they will figure out how soft-skinned their
humans are and play within our limits.

I just hope they don't start to think we are boring because we don't know
how to play like ferrets!

Melissa A. Durfee