From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 07:53:37 -0700
>From:    Thomas and Tracy Lunt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY Ferret math strikes again!  & Important
>questions!!
>When we tried to introduce Kodiak to the baby, Kodiak demonstrated some
>pretty aggressive behavior.  I immediately seperated them and have been
>afraid to repeat the process.

Sounds like a bad boy in season alright... Understand my most breeders
recommend neutering all males you aren't going to breed?  Thought you did.
Usually though agreesio is only within the ferret species so I'm not sure
whats going on with the cat.  Keep an eye on him in case it is a medical
problem not just hormones.  Five months is way too young but adrenal tumors
sometimes bring on aggression.  Wait til the smell comes... He will also
start dropping weight.

Keep him pretty much alone until a couple weeks after he's altered.  The
first week or two after the surgery are the worst.

As for when...  Full grown is usually 6 to 7 months.  You can get him
castrated any time it if he's mature enough to be going into season.  You
can verify that by looking between the legs and see if things are growing.
We recommend 6 to 9 months but if our boy is five months and going into
season he's an early blossomer by 7 months.  You won't find a consensus I
think.  If he's starting to drop weight you might want to go ahead as that
means he's basically done growing.

>From:    Maggie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: oh no ferret math..
>his dam is Camelot his sire Chevy, his uncle is Dickens and Skidmark

Ah Chevy's a Daddy!  Cool!  This is a good bunch of ferrets to be from.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]