From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 11:47:46 -0500
Hi all,

I hadn't planned on getting through the FML today but as i was skimming
email Potpie crawled into my shirt, curled up, and fell asleep.  So, rather
than move, I thought I'd read more email. :)

Someone wrote about expensive surgeries and ferrets.  This sort of thing is
always a tough call, and the most important thing to remember is that NO TWO
CASES ARE IDENTICAL.  Ie, there are no 'rules' to follow.  Nobody is saying
"if it costs more than $700, don't do it, and if the ferret will live only
two months afterwards, don't do it." And if they are saying those things,
they ought to be left nekkid alone in a room with my Noodle, Easel, and
Friday - w/ nowhere to run or hide.  They can show him what's involved in
making these decisions of 'worth.'

The sort of money involved is often prohibitive.  Even if I *would* spend
$1,500 on my ferret, I can't.  Doing so would greatly hinder and detract
from my own quality of living, and I can't help my other ferrets if I do
that sort of thing.  But, if I was independently wealthy, and the surgery
would definitely help, I'd do it.  Wouldn't we all?

There are grey areas, however.  What if the surgery will only help make a
diagnosis?  I was faced with that question a year ago - perform a $1000+
surgery on Friday (well, not me, the neurologist) to see 'what was wrong.' I
chose not to and we arrived at a diagnosis (correct, as it turned out)
anyway and Friday's still with us today.  Sure, I could've put it on credit,
but there reaches a point where paying $240/month in credit card minimum
payments because I've charged all these expensive ferret things prevents me
from taking the best care of my fuzzies possible.

Honestly, if you can't afford a hugely expensive surgery, don't be wracked
with guilt over the situation, even if the surgery would extend the ferret's
life hugely.  Do your best to look for other methods of treatment, and make
the ferret as happy as possible in the time you have left.  There is a point
at which care for yourself and other dependents has to be a part of the
decision.

I fully believe that I should do everything I can to help my ferrets lead
the longest possible happy lives.  They have enriched my life and I have
accepted the responsibility of their care.  However, I don't hire a
full-time knowledgeable ferret sitter to play with them all day long, nor do
I build special ferret-room additions onto the apartments i rent, nor do I
hire the vet to come to my house to treat them, and I don't have a livestock
farmer bring by the freshest daily meats for them to dine on.  Maybe when I
make my first gazillion, sure, but for now, it's all a matter of manageable
scale.

Make the best decision for your ferrets, yourself, and your situation, and
comfort yourself that you're realistically giving what you can.  Or, do what
it takes to make you comfortable with your decision, but remember that the
rest of your fuzzbutts need you to be able to take care of them, too.  :)

Melissa

 __ Melissa Litwicki ____ [log in to unmask] __
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters