From:
"Keith, Brad, Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 01:45:53 -0600
hi all,

I don't manage to write very often, but I wanted to say that I'm very sorry
for everyone that has lost their ferts.  I was reading about Troy's Abbey,
and I cried and cried.  What a terrible thing to have happen.  Does anyone
know if brain lesions are something that occur often?  I've been reading the
FML for about 10 months now and have heard of all sorts of terrible things
that can happen to the ferts and learned what the symptoms are, but this
sounds like it was extremely sudden.

I can't remember who asked about splints, but I also do not have anything
really positive to say about them.  We rescued our 3rd ferret Mischieva from
the vet.  Someone had found her with a broken leg, wandering in a parking
lot.  We have an excellent vet, but he splinted her leg with that elastic
sticky ace bandage looking stuff.  She had been splinted at the vet about 2
weeks, I think.  When we took her home she still had it.  Anyway, it only
went to the top of her leg, and it made her skin raw, no air could get to
her leg and was nasty looking when we went in for a bandage change.  We
couldn't stand to see the poor skin under her armpit get any worse.  We had
the vet take it off and tried to keep her confined to the cage and play
gently with the other ferts.  The poor leg was so skinny and sad looking.
She wouldn't use it at first and gradually put more weight on it.  She
healed much better once it was off.  The leg is strong now and healed well.
Just my opinion.

Liz
Mischieva (I can do ANYTHING, BONZAI!)
Sinbad (Leave me alone, woman, go pick on some other ferret!)
Quincy (TREATS? TREATS?)