From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:26:27 -0600
>From:    amanda siemens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: cages, and kitchens, and gates oh my!
>
>A few questions for the older and wiser.  First I'd like to thank the
>person who posted on the superpet cages.  I was planning on buying one
>but now I am reconcidering.  I love how it looks but if they're gonna be
>that much trouble....So now I'm trying to decide weather to get a martin's
>or a midwest.  The shelves on the midwest look so tiny!  Can a ferret
>really play on such small ledges?  My 'former' friend had one and her big
>boy kept falling off the top one!

The shelves in a Midwest cage are useless.  The nice thing about a Midwest
Cage is it will fold up for transport.  If you get one, plan on replacing
those shelves with full floors.  That is not so hard to do.  Get two
pieces of plexiglass or plywood cut to fit inside the cage and get some
lengths of dowel.  Cut a small hole for the ferrets to pass thru in one
corner of each piece.  If you use plywood, varnish well to resist water.
Pass two dowels thru the cage and rest on the 5th horizontal wire up and
the 8th.  Rest the floor on the dowels.  Cover the ramps with a tube sock
and attach where your pass thru hole is.  If you get a cage from Martin,
it wont collapse very easily, but it can be ordered with full floors.
Then you just need to get some vinyl floor covering to cover the wire
floors.

--
Russ, Booger, Bonnie & Clyde

URA Redneck if your entertainment center is made of boards and concrete.