From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 18:51:28 -0500
>Also, when you board your ferrets are they normally allowed to have play
>time?  Is there anything that I can send with him to remind him of me?
>
>SilkLady7 {after this you may want to call me "SillyLady"

Ah, separation anxiety.  Well, Silk, you need not worry about your fuzzy
forgetting you.  I have never seen this occur and would find it highly
unlikely.  Ferrets by some reports have the object recognition abilities par
to chimpanzees, yet admittedly they do not appear as bright(especially when
careening off a bed or into a wall during weasel wardances).  Fear not, you
can leave something of yours behind for his stay such as a sock or small
blankie that carries your scent and a scent of "home".  Perhaps several are
in order in case changes become necessary.

You can also make up a colorful small cage name tag on a 3x5 with your
fuzzbutt's name and age and brief bio, so any vet attendants will quickly
familiarize themselves to your favorite fuzz which usually guarantees *lots*
of attention.  Understanding vets will usually allow these additions.  Yes,
your fuzzie should have some time outside the cage to be cuddled and stretch
their legs providing such freedom is possible.  Often, vet techs on
nightwatch perform these tasks when it is quieter(human wise) and more time
is available during regular chores.

I have left mine behind on trips and understand your anxiety and I am guilty
of calling the vet more than once over the period of only one week (More
like twice a day).

You can also ask the vet to house them in the working area instead of the
normal boarding area if these facilities exist.  Here, less animals will be
apt to disturb your loved one and also there will be lots of people walking
around making it all very interesting.  Further, you can ask the vet to
place your ferret away from any real spunky dogs and such which will help
insure some peace during naps.  However, with all this commotion, ferrets
generally adapt very quickly to new surroundings.

With proper care, which you and your vet seem aptly prepared to provide,
your fuzzbutt should find the stayover exciting, interesting, and even fun.
Remember, ferrets *love* new surroundings.  Have a safe trip.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi