From:
Donna Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 22:31:09 -0400
The latest on the young female ferret in need of rescuing from a Washington,
DC shelter (see yesterday's FML for more details): Our efforts were hampered
by the fact that most of the political officials we wanted to contact today
for assistance in her rescue are in Chicago attending the Democratic
National Convention.  Nevertheless, we were informed by the DC Animal
Control authorities that the ferret is going to be adopted out to "a friend
of an employee." Since two of us were at the DC Shelter yesterday an hour
before the shelter officially opened, we question why we were not being
considered for adoption to our shelter (All About Bandit Ferret Rescue &
Shelter in Annapolis, MD).  DC Animal Control also stressed that their
policy has not changed and they will euthanize unless the ferret is claimed
by the owner who must be either a Maryland or Virginia resident and they
said they would not give her up to a Washington, DC resident.  We will
attempt to verify that the alleged adoption has taken place.

The Chair of the Maryland Coalition for the Rational Rabies Policy (MCRRP)
has agreed to undertake an initiative to have the DC code amended to
legalize the ownership of ferrets in Washington, DC.  If you want to be of
assistance in this effort or become an MCRRP member, please call the MCRRP
Chair, Diane Rogers, at 410/448-1281 or the Coalition Attorney, Jim Scott,
at 410/923-3540.  The All About Bandit Ferret Rescue & Shelter appreciates
all the support that they have received in this matter.