From:
Diane Iverson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:27:55 -0600
I'm watching this thread......and I have a few thoughts......

Taking a ferret (or ferrets) off the Tree and then not following
through is what originally led to my meeting Cathy Strobach of Zoo's
Sanctuary......while I couldn't be happier about that, I admit to still
being angry that someone would pull such a stunt.  The Tree isn't about
people, it's supposed to be about FERRETS.

Politics suck.  They always have, they always will.

If you take a ferret off the Tree, you have, in essence, made a contract.
You have a moral obligation to follow through on your promise (yes, I
firmly believe this).  I understand things happen......a job is lost,
illness.....life can get in the way.  But then you need to LET SOMEONE
KNOW.  There is no shame in backing out of something you thought you
could do yesterday, but cannot do today......circumstances can change in
the blink of an eye....and if you want to help someone else, you first
have to take care of yourself.

The shelters have an obligation, too.  I know how busy they are, how
overworked the shelter Moms are.  But if you had time to put your kids
on the Tree, then you have time to acknowledge that someone wants to be
their Santa.  I'm not asking for flowers and a band......I'm asking for
a simple email that might only say *thank you, we got the package*.....
or *Sure, you can be our Santa*.  It doesn't have to be an elaborate
card, pictures (although every single one I have ever received is
saved)..........

Just. A. Simple. Thank. You.  Ferrets may be animals, and as such don't
realize they didn't get a *christmas present*.....but we are human.....
and we need a pat on the back once in awhile.

Packages get lost, email whizzes off to cyber-space, never to be seen
again.....it happens.  I, personally, am notorious for getting my stuff
out late.....but I always LET THE SHELTER KNOW.

If this is happening because of mis-communication, we need to be more
vigilant.  Don't get an answer to your first email???  Try again.

Shelters....you have a Board of Directors.....make them earn their keep.
Assign the Tree kids to one of them.

Kristine and Peggy have worked too hard to see the Tree go down in
flames......they deserve better.  So do the shelter kids.

Is this a personal crusade of mine???

Why yes, yes it is.

For the ferrets.

Diane I.