From:
William Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 03:26:56 -0400
>From:    Ron Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Snatching ?
>Over her protests I went around to the garage in back and removed her two
>ferrets from there cages and put them in my pet carrier and drove off.

That would be theft.

Flame proof suits don't help you in jail.

Are you trolling or expecting praise for committing a crime?

>From:    Charles Onken <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: I Am ASHAMED
>One paragraph says "Dozens of family and friends are helping collect the
>domesticated animals and return them to the safety of the farm.
>DOMESTICATED ANIMAL?  Fourteen thousand animals raised in cages.

Yes.  Those most certainly are domesticated animals.  So are all livestock
even when the numbers are very very large.  Since they are indeed
domesticated and far far too many to survive going feral, they absolutely
are safer on the farm.  A few hours or days in the wild where they will
kill creatures that belong there and be killed through accidents and
starvation is certainly not as safe as a cage where it might be somewhat
cramped but food and water will be served and no cars pass by to smash
the mustelid.

Mink and many ferret farms all tend to be at least somewhat similar.

>They are no more "domesticated" than lions in a zoo.

Guess you do not know what domesticated means.  The domesticated mink was
derived from the wild north american mink.  They have been domesticated
for at least half a century.  In that time man has modified the course
evolution would take.  They are larger, with better coats and far more
colors.  That means definitively that they are indeed domesticated.

Both the domesticated mink and the ferret have no place in the wild.

>I guess your definition of "animal cruelty" varies according to who signs
>your paycheck, Teresa.

Uh... no.  She is indeed using the term correctly.  Legally.  Killing all
of those mink inhumanely is cruel.

It is a shame that this purely A/R post was allowed through.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets