Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:29:17 EDT
Two of the kids are going to the vets tomorrow. We are having full
blood tests and x-rays. One ferret is a wisp of a thing I adopted
last December. She trembles when I hold her, and looks too bony. Too
delicate. Too fragile. The other eats everything it sees. He has
heart disease. He is doing that thing mine do before they die. He has
isolated himself. And none of the others want to sit or play with him
anymore.

I woke up in the middle of last night with Coco barking. I got some
laxative down her. I put her in a carrier next to my pillow so I would
hear if she was in distress again. I had already gotten up an hour
before to feed Ginger some more baby food again with my fingers. Before
that, the cat decided I needed to pet her under the covers. I was so
tired...that sickening feeling of tired.

Someone was shaking me. They were telling me I had to wake up. Two
people I seemed to know...a man and a woman...urged me to go down to
the basement. And so down I went.

The ferrets were dying. I knew that somehow. We had been moving around
from place to place, and I had allowed the ferrets to free roam
everywhere. I had gotten sloppy careless, and not even kept track of
where they were or of even if I had gathered all of them when moving to
another area. This place was sprawling and dark. Had I even taken all
of them from the last place to this one? I tried to remember where I
had last seen each one. I could blurrily picture them running off down
a hall or over some bizarre landscape.

Down in this odd basement, one of my ferrets called out to me and cried
out something about its tail. It was in terrible pain. The voice was
weak...very weak. I searched in this groddy darkened basement that had
old grey carpeting over the cement floor.

I saw Bisquit. Bisquit was half under a couch that had no legs. His
back legs stuck out. I lifted up the couch and found that the middle
section of him had been eaten. The head lay still above the dark blood
pool that was once the center of his body. Close by, the carpet had a
lump that was moving...It was about the size of a large rat. I knew
somehow that it was the animal that had killed and eaten Bisquit. I
wanted to squish it.

I searched for the white ferret who had called out to me. It lay warm,
limp and dead on the floor in another area of the basement. I held it
in my arms. The sadness washed over me.

The two people I seemed to know were showing me all of my vitamins that
were out of their containers in an odd wooden box. God knows if they
were contaminated. Many were crumpled into dust. I needed to take the
vitamins to get the energy to keep moving. But I could not take THOSE.
I had to find my babies. I had to save the ferrets. But the two people
were telling me I had to go to work. I could not miss a day. We were
too booked.

I awoke to the sounds of ferrets dropping something somewhere. Coco was
still in the carrier. She was alright. I dragged my body out of bed and
searched for everyone. Most were right next to the bed running through
tubes and play fighting. They had opened a cabinet door and were moving
out my light bulbs in their cardboard containers down the hall.It was 5
AM.

I was so glad for the day. I turned on all the lights in the house,
gave soups and meds and cleaned boxes. Then I played with the babies.
We had a terrific time tussling in the bath tub that had towels and
tubes in it.

I was about to leave for work. But I heard screaming. Mini-Me was
screeching that deaf scream because now Goober is tired of being
threatened by her, and he was coming after her. I picked her up and
kissed and held her and gave her some more soup before leaving. She
stopped shaking and kissed my face. She is such an old gal now with no
fur on her tail despite all the Lupron shots.

She must have been really frightened by Goober. Because I went through
30 minutes at the office before looking at this dark stain on my
jacket. Mini-Me had pooped right into my pocket.

Oh The absurdities of life and dreams: