From:
Stephanie Mudgett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 1996 20:51:41 -0400
Hello vets,

Quick question regarding skin lesions.

My 3-1/2 year old male ferret, Ted, has gotten over the course of a few
months on three separate occasions a skin lesion on his upper ribs, kind of
behind his armpit area.  The first time I thought it was due to wrestling,
and the second, but the third--now I'm beginning to wonder!  I have polled a
couple of other ferret shelter directors and I find they are seeing the same
thing and had wondered about it also.  There is no bump, no break (apparent
to me) in the skin, no discoloration.  It's just there and slightly bloody
and usually the blood has dried when I find it.  It does not continuously
bleed.  It apparenlty bleeds that initial time and then starts healing up.
I find it when petting and playing with Ted and there is nothing that I can
see on his skin prior to its erruption.  The size is about 1/4 inch, from
what I can tell.  It doesn't seem to bother Ted and I've been putting
vitamin e capsules on it and they heal very fast (usually 3 days).

What are these caused from and what can I do, if anything, to prevent them
from re-occuring?  I read all the medical FAQs, but if it's in there, I
missed it.

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice you might be able to share.

Stephanie
Shelter Director
Ferret Services of Freedom