From:
Mustela Putorious <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:37:49 -0700
Boy!  I am still exhausted from the huge party we had up here!

Sadly, there are always Bridge Greetings to do.  I have been asked to go
and meet Snowflake at the Bridge.  She is a new arrival and her earth
family is worried that she doesn't have anyone here to meet her.  Well,
there is always someone here to meet the new arrivals.  There's me,
and Mr. Muldoone and Saraferret, and Francis Ferret is here to offer
counseling and support for newbies who have a difficult transition.
And Nana is here too!

I have asked Francis Ferret to join me in this greeting.  I am hopeful
that if Snowflake arrives scared or confused Francis will be able to calm
her fears and explain what the Rainbow Bridge community is all about.

It is early evening and it's been a hot, sunny day.  There are
dragonfly's and flutterby's lazily gliding through the air.

It's pretty quiet here, I guess everyone is wiped out by the heat and
the party we had.

I looked up just in time to see Francis walking up the path to my humble
cottage.  She is all bedecked in purple [as usual] she has a large purple
sun bonnet on her head and she's carrying a very large purple bag in
which she keeps many things, lavendar tissues and a large purple comb she
always keeps on hand for Mully's unruly hair [she doen't much care for
the 'spit and smooth' approach.] She always has a box of raisins as they
can usually cure most sadnesses and she has a very special notebook that
she uses to write down the name of every ferret who has ever come across
the Rainbow Bridge.  Today she will add Snowflake's name to the list.

"Are you ready Old Man?" Francis asks with a sly look

"Old man??  Madam, to whom are you referring?" I asked, feigning
indignation.

"You know I'm just a-teasing you Pete!  Are you ready to go meet
Snowflake?"

"Yes Ma'am" I said, and I offered Francis my arm [which is the
gentlemanly thing to do when walking with a lady]

"Francis?  How long have you been here?" I asked as we walked

"Oh Dear...I've been here a long time.  Nearly 20 years I think." she
answered

"Who are you waiting for?" I asked

Francis sighed and said, "I am waiting for my Earth Mom.  Her name is
Misty and she's still young, so I think I still have a lot longer to
wait.  But that's okay with me.  I get so much fulfillment out of serving
the new arrivals, and I have many friends here who keep me very busy."

"Hmmm....Do you ever get lonesome?" I asked

"No, not really lonesome.  I miss my Misty.  But I know I will see her
again one day.  How about you Pete?  Do you get lonesome?" She asked

"Yes....Yes I do.  I miss my Earth Mom and Dad very much.  And I miss my
girlfriend Fancy all the time.  Every day I wish for Fancy to come here
and join me, then I feel guilty because if Fancy were to come here, that
would mean she'd have to leave Mom and Paps behind.  And that would make
them very sad.  So I feel like my wishes are selfish.  But I still miss
my Fancy very much." I explained

"Oh Pete...I know what you mean....Fancy will get here one day, and when
she does, she will be overjoyed to see you again.  I promise." and then
she added, "Well, here we are again...at the Rainbow Bridge.  I guess
we're a bit early.....do you mind if we sit on the bench?" she asked.

'Not at all Miss Francis...not at all." and we sat down to wait for our
next new arrival.

As we waited, a warm breeze came over us, and I thought "Here she comes"
I slowly looked over to the far side of the bridge and saw a little wisp
of a girl standing there, looking scared and lost.  I nudged Francis'
arm and said, "There's our girl Francis."

We slowly got up from the bench and walked towards the little girl, I
spoke first.

"Well hello there, young Miss.  You must be Snowflake."

She looked carefully at me and said "I am...But who are you?"

She spoke in a quiet little voice that made you want to scoop her into
your arms and protect her from the world.  "I am Musty Pete, and this
is my good friend Francis Ferret.  It's my job to meet you here at the
Rainbow Bridge." I explained

"So this is the Rainbow Bridge?" she asked "My Mom told me I would come
to this place, it's very nice....Is this where I have to live now?  Is
my Mom here?"

"No, your Mom is not here yet.  It is not her time...but one day she
will come here to be with you again.  This is the place all creatures
come to when their time on Earth is done.  We all wait here for our
loved ones to join us." I explained, adding "It really is very nice here
and soon you will meet many other ferrets who will be your friends."

"Are there a lot of ferrets here?  Just like me?" she asked

Francis spoke up, "Oh there are many ferrets here Dear Heart.  You will
make many friends and we have lots of fun activities to keep you busy,
and happy."

"Would you like to go meet some of them now?" I asked.

"MM-mmm...I'm not sure.  Maybe later?"  Snowflake seemed a bit unsure of
how she should accept this new life.

"You know what I think would be a very good idea?  I think that Snowflake
should stay with you Francis.  Just for a few days until she feels
comfortable enough to make some new friends.  What do you think
Snowflake?  Would you like to spend a few days with Francis?  She has a
very nice home."

Snowflake was quiet for a moment, then she said "That might be nice.
Where is your house?" she asked Francis

"My house is just over that hill over there, it's purple!  You can't miss
it!  Would you like to go there with me now?" asked Francis

"Yes...I guess I would."

As Francis and little Snowflake started walking towards Francis' purple
cottage, I thought to myself "I think Snowflake will be just fine." I
watched them walk until I couldn't see them anymore.

Time for me to go check on Muldoone and have some dinner, this has been
a long day.

To be at the Bridge is what love really means

I'll wait here forever to see you again

~Musty Pete