From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 09:12:15 -0600
I was just doing some googling on this as I haven't in awhile. There a
a multitude of organizations which in a way splits up the effort which
is bad. For basic animal law I ran across this one. If you want to help
ferrets, and shut down ferret-millers, ferret-farms etc. I think you
need to be aware of and involved in the broader overall fight for
better legislation to protect all animals. Especially since some of
this legislation might not have specific enough wording to include
ferrets and that oversight needs to get some visibility.

http://www.aldf.org/

Of note, in Nebraska there has been a fight on in the last year or so
over setting standards for breeding - . It is a law mostly designed
to set some VERY basic standards at puppy-millers but the AKC and its
small dog breeders fought this hard. I ran into an article on the same
thing in Minnesota (dated Jan 2007 no less). Ultimately its all about
money. Anyone making money off of live pets is a problem and will fight
these laws tooth and nail or interject themselves to get the laws
changed to provide loopholes for themselves. In an AKC comment they
basically said they wanted dogs to continue to be considered property
and that people should be able to do what they want with their
property. I've been very anti-AKC for a long long time. Parent breed
clubs and UKC are somewhat better.

Mary,
Nebraska