From:
Bill Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1993 07:49:06 -0500
From:  [log in to unmask] (Darel Benysh)

>I would be very interested if anyone has any information to back this
>up.  Our newest little carnivore appears to be deaf.  I don't know
>what color classification he fits under, but he does have white toes,
>knees, bib, face and a white stripe running down from his forehead to
>shoulders.  We have only begun to suspect his hearing problem in the
>past month.  Previously, we just thought he was too young to understand
>and respond in a meaningful way.  This amounts to him being very difficult
>to train.  Since he can't hear "No!" (the 'bad' signal)  and he can't
>hear the raisin box being shaken (the 'good' signal indicating a treat
>or "where are you guys hiding?") the only way to communicate with him
>is physically.  That requires that he either watch you make visual
>signals or you physically touch him.

It is possible that your ferret could be deaf from being taken away from his
mother too early.  I know that this happens a lot in pet stores.  Was he
really small when you got him?  If so, that could be one of the reasons he
is deaf.  My second ferret was deaf, but it didn't pose too many problems in
training.  In fact, she is the one that uses the litter box the most of my
three.

>Well the hand signals haven't been much of a success.  I have had
>moderate success with touch.  If I can keep him from misunderstanding
>them as play (he is a rowdy little boy), the following signals have worked:

>* a spank works for "No!"
>* petting, holding him against my throat while I hum -> "good ferret"
>* stomping around the apt -> "come out come out wherever you are"

I agree that a spank works for "no", and I use cuddling and linatone for
"good ferret".  I've never tried stomping to get her to come out because I
have downstairs neighbors where I live now, and my last place was in a
basement and no use.

I'm sure you've noticed that your deaf ferret doesn't wake up when you come
into the room.  Even when the other ferrets awake.  It does make it possible
to sneak up on them when they're sleeping and do the "Isn't it so cute"
routine with people you are introducing to a ferret for the first time.

>Any other suggestions on how to live with and train a young deaf ferret?

If you have any questions about handling a deaf ferret, please feel free e-
mail me.  I've done it for two years.

Now, let me say one more thing.  A few days ago, I said something about
ferrets living shorter lives if kept in cages.  I do not have any proof to
back this up, just the word of my last two vets.  They told me the
following:  when a ferret is kept in a cage, it is more high strung and its
life has more stress in it (that yearning to be running around).  It is a
medical fact that stress can shorten a human's life, and the vet applied the
same situation to ferrets.  He also told me that ferrets who live in cages
are much more difficult to control, and are more willing to bite.  Who
knows, maybe he was feeding me propaganda.  Maybe it was the truth.  Who's
to say.  Anyway, I'm sorry if I was spreading rumors.