From:
Edward Lipinski Ferrets NorthWest FNW <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:45:53 -0700
My thanks to Karl Brodhecker in British Columbia for his correcting my
"atrocious" German and my apparent misinterpretation into English of that
famous movie actor Arnold Schwarzeneggar's name.

Does anybody happen to know the names that AS has given to his pet
ferret(s) that we saw in his two films that featured ferrets?  I do
believe that AS is Austrian and not German.

I do have one question though:  What happened to the letter "n" in name
SchwarzeNeggar?  KB translated schwarze as "black," which is what I did
too.  Then he referred to '''eggar" as an acre of ground, but KB omitted
the "N" in SchwarzeNeggar.

If one includes the letter "N" then "egger" becomes "neggar." Upon visiting
my German dictionary, there is no such word as "neggar," but instead there
is the word "neger."

So I do yield to KB on his translation of AN's name and confess that my
translation is in error.  But, what I want to know is, what happened to
the letter "N" in AN's name?

On the word "Achtung," my dictionary gives the meanings of "attention,
esteem, respect, and regard." I find no reference to KB's interpretation of
the word as, "danger."  I know that in the military, it definitely means,
"Attention."

KB's suggestion on how the ferret taxi should be labeled I translate as,
"Careful, living animals, ferrets.  My contribution would read, "Attention,
two ferrets (are) inside." So, in retrospect maybe KB's German phrase would
be better, since the word, "living" is included.

Hey!  What the heck.  I ain't doing too bad for just one year of high
school German and one year of scientific German in the university.  And
that was way back in the '50's.

And you know, " Die Walde wird ruehe, wenn nur die Vogeln die besten ist
gesungen." This translates (I think!) to, "The woods would be silent if
only the birds who sang the best, sang."

So I very much appreciate being corrected in my German;  I'm better for
it, nicht wahr?

Edward Lipinski, Y B NML?

[Moderator's note: I'll stretch a bit and say the above post was enough
ferret-related to be acceptable, but, please, no general German lessons
on the FML :-)  BIG]