From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:11:50 -0600
What I am about to post is not a medical fact, results of a survey, but a
personal observation from working with so many ferrets and having several
great vets that talk to me and bunches of wondewrful clients who stay in
touch.

This observation was brought to our attention two years ago and comes with
change of the photo periods.  Changes in light cycles can trigger a lot of
changes in the chemistry of a ferret.  For instance, it can and is used to
induce ferrets to commercially breed.  That also means that it elevates
their hormone levels andwe have seen many swollen prostates this time of
year due to this.  Unfortunately, this condition is misdiagnosed by many
vets because they don't see enough ferrets to realize that they simply
treating symptoms and not cause.  This condition can and does cause
restriction of the uerethra, causing the bladder to swell, putting pressure
on the bowels, irratating them or actually blocking them.  Misdiagnosed..it
is fatal.  Correctly diagnoosed, it is easily treated.  I t is sometimes
difficult to cath the bladder of a ferret, so milking the pressure off is
sometimes an option, altho it must be done a certain way.  Have your vet
teach you if need be.  Treatment for a UTI is sometimes necessary and
carafate and /or sulcrafate to ease the irration of the bowel will help.
Your vet should supervise you through all of this and provide the meds

Miscolored stools is not cause for too much alarm as there are so many
causes of green stools, it could just be a high long rod bacteria level.
All this caused by one little function!!!  Watch for dry litter box or real
small piddle spots, or urinating while walking, or licking privates alot.
Do not palpitate ferret yourself as the bladder has been known to be
stretched pretty tight because of this and squeezing could rupture it,
resulting in death.  I qahve seen this condition misdiagnosed so many time
as a blockage, ECE, UTI, etc.  It can resemble all of the above and more so
heads ups If you or your vet have any questions, pleae don't be afraid to
ask.

Disclaimer, I am not a vet or a tech and am not prescribing any treatment
or cure for this condition.  treatment depends on individual case hx and
you vet is licensed to do just that .  I have provided this information as
a tool learned from many, many experiences and hope that it may save you
some time, money, and maybe the life of your ferret.

Hugs to all
ferretguy