From:
Katherine Kuckens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 17:11:43 -0500
Haven't contributed for ages but have been here reading.  We just found out
we will be moving to the Hartford, CT area, and are trying to sell our
house.  I think I remember there are some really good ferret shelters and
groups in CT?

This is for the person looking for ferrets in stores close to NYC.  I don't
wish to disagree with Juliana, and please don't think I'm trying to flame!
I see that BIG is referring to Parrot World in Valley Stream.  I've never
been there and I hope it's a great place.  But I went to Parrots of the
World in Rockville Centre, LI, about six weeks ago and I was appalled.  All
the birds were crammed literally by the dozens in tiny cramped cages.The
store was NOT clean.  Baby ferrets were crammed in a dirty cage ( at least
it was wire) and without food and water.  I am quite sure that at least one
of these babies was DEAD.  My little boys were so upset, the younger one
began to cry.  We had gone there because we heard it was so cool, instead we
had our hearts broken.  I kept telling my little boy that the ferrets were
asleep.  It was awful, I still feel so bad about it.

Not too much farther out is the unlikely-named pet store Mutts and Butts.
It IS clean and bright.  They have a few ferrets, in large clean wire cages
with toys and hammocks.  They cost more, about $129, but at least you can
see the store is trying to do the right thing.  Mutts and Butts is on
Merrick Road in Bellmore, about 30 minutes out of NYC.  Still another place
is Animals Alive in Wantagh, just fifteen more minutes east of Mutts &
Butts.  It's a block north of Sunrise Highway near the train station.  They
have LOTS of ferrets, about $99, in so-so conditions, but they do make a
real effort to educate new owners and they have lots of supplies and seem
like decent pet store people.

Also there is our local group, New York Ferrets Rights Association, which
does a lot of rescue.  There are no ferret shelters on LI, but NYFRA tries
hard to be on good terms with animal shelters and picks up ferrets if
notified.  Two of my ferrets were rescued by NYFRA.  E-mail me if you want
their phone #.

Chip, my six-year old black-eyed white, is recovering from surgery.  He had
a yukky bump on his shoulder on and off for a few months.  It would heal, go
away, and then suddenly re-appear.  Not too good!  Just when I thought it
was really gone, it came back overnight as an almond sized, bloody lumpy
nightmare.  The vet advised immediate removal, which was my plan, too,
although he got me worried when he said he didn't know how Chip would do
under anesthesia.  Well, he came through GREAT, the vet and his assistants
were in love with him.  They kept him three days, and he had six big
stitches.  It was $250.  (This is a friendly warning to people who "can't
afford" to buy a ferret or are worried about adrenal problems......even a
little thing like a skin growth will COST YOU.  Be ready.) Anyway, Chip was
put in my arms in the vets office looking glassy and groggy and just when I
was about to be very upset, he suddenly jumped up and began his famous
endless kissing, followed by weasel dancing on the exam table.  As soon as
he got home he began racing around the house and hasn't stopped since.  He
is better than ever!  His little blind littermate Dale, from whom he has
never been separated in 6 years, had been mourning him terribly.  What a
loving reunion they had, crying and kissing each other's faces.  Sigh.  All
three of our ferrets love my little boy better than anyone else in the
house.  They chase him around, lick him, crawl all over him.  He's six years
old.  My 12 year old son and I are jealous!  Chip and Dale still hate Cody,
though, and she hates them.  Drat.

Kat