Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 07:09:59 -0500
How I met my first ferret and came to get Kiki.

Back about 7 years ago, when I was in the Navy, a young friend of mine
handed me her backpack and asked me to hold ?  (place ferret name here,
hehe).  I was totally unaware of anything in the bag.  I had never even
seen a ferret before.  So there I am, "holding the bag" and out pops this
fuzzy little head.  I did what any self respecting 35 y/o lady would do.
I screamed my head off, threw the bag and her, and ran like hell!  My
young friend was understandably offended and took her ferret away from
the crazy lady.  When I finished shaking and crying I found myself
intrigued.  What had that "thing" been?  Why was it in her backpack?  So
I asked to see it.  At first she wasn't going to let me near it.  (gee,
wonder why?)  Finally she brought it to my barracks room and held him,
just inside the door.  She explained what it was and why they are great
pets.  I thanked her and promptly forgot the entire thing.  (or so I
thought).  A few years later I saw ferrets in a pet store.  I WANTED one.
I'm not one to jump in blind, so I asked tons of questions, did hours of
research and waited almost a year before I decided to look again, and see
if anyone wanted to come home with me.  So off to the pet store I go.
(no idea what a shelter was at the time).  I met Kiki and his brother.
Held them both, played with them, and put them back.  I stopped by the
pet store almost everyday after work to "check" on them.  It took a week,
but Kiki insisted on coming home with me.  He is my first, ferret math
took over and now I have three.  Brownie from the pet store, Milly from
a Military lady being assigned overseas, and Little Bit at the bridge, my
first rescue.

So that's my story, what's yours?

Shelley