From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:00:58 -0500
One of my babies, Tigger, was diagnosed with Lympho Sarcoma today - not
a good diagnosis to hear, I know that much.  The Dr. did a biopsy, so
yes it's pretty certain.  It appears she has cancer in her lymph nodes,
liver, lungs, and intestines.  She had recently lost a lot of weight
(last 2-3 weeks), so it was pretty rapid, and she has been much less
energetic of late, but not entirely listless.  So I knew something was
wrong when I took her in today.  She is a little over 6 years old.  I was
given 3 options by our vet,
1. do nothing (not his recommendation btw),
2. chemotherapy infusions every few weeks, or
3. daily doses of prednisone to improve quality of life.

I know everyone will have their own opinions as to the best course of
action, but I opted for the prednisone.  I am a very firm believer in
the importance of quality of life, (in people and animals).

My question is basically what things can I do to help her quality of life
during her bout with the cancer?  I would like to hear from other ferret
owners who have had to deal with this, and hear what things they found to
be helpful.  I guess my basic concerns are how to keep her as comfortable
as possible and how to fatten her back up a bit, or at least the very
least, stop the weight loss.  Please send responses to my direct email
address: [log in to unmask]

Thanks,
Holly
Tigger & Pooh