From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:17:43 +1000
I wanted to know if there is a good complete listing of common myths
and misconceptions about ferrets, or if not I would like to start one,
something like "101 Common untruths about ferrets " or something..

The more I research ferrets the more I often become unstuck, after
reading the same information on many sites and in many books, that all
seemed to have stemmed from some early idea which has since been proved
wrong, yet for some reason continues to be spread as a "truth".  So I
find my self parroting things that I now believe as truths only to find
out that everything I have researched is wrong :(

Many things I used to tell prospective ferret owners, people who asked
about them, or to complete strangers who said "what is that ?"..in the
early days of my ferret adventures, I have since found out are not true
or have been "twisted" by retellings and mistranslation etc..

Things like "Ferrets come from Egypt" and "Ferrets will eat anything a
cat does" etc etc I found out long ago, but I still get corrected today
on things I thought were true such as ferrets getting the cold.

Anyhow, I am hoping there is either a site with a list of all the common
mistakes often quoted on websites/by petstores/in magazines etc, OR, that
with some help I may be able to compile in one place a list of all the
commonly told "urban myths", unfactual "facts", or old and outdated
info..  with pointers to updated information on sites like this or more
informed upto date sites which can disprove or re-educate some of the
"myth" spreaders out there..

I don't mean a full list of all the scientific, heavy duty, only
breeders and scientists should know this stuff sort of facts,... but,
more the everyday garden variety myths that a new ferret owner often
gets trapped by.

things like
ferrets will go feral - NOT !
ferrets will eat the face off your baby - NOT !
ferrets were domesticated by Egyptians - NOT !
ferrets eat rabbits - NOT !
All ferrets are biters - NOT !
Descenting ferrets stops the smell - NOT
etc etc, I am sure we have all come across some ourselves...

Any ideas ? thoughts ? is there such a list already out there ?

Darrin