From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:28:45 -0500
I meant to send this yesterday, but goofed and sent it twice to another
mailing list.

On Wednesday, the State of Illinois FINALLY closed down Rick Robbins pet
farm.  All of his numerous animals were confiscated by the local Humane
Society, and they gave us the ferrets.  We went out to his farm, and the
conditions were absolutely disgusting!  The ferrets, along with some free
range chickens and some caged dogs, were out in a shed in the back, in wire
cages, most with no food or water.  The weather here has been in the 80's
and 90's.  Inside his house it was worse, the stench was incredible.  There
were cages upon cages of hamsters, guinea pigs, sugar gliders, miniature
possums, and hedgehogs.  There were three dogs in a bedroom upstairs,
another dog and her puppies in the bathroom, another very friendly bulldog
wandering around the house.  There were several cages of cats, and many
cats wandering outside.  He even had a fawn!

None of these ferrets have been fixed or vaccinated, and most of the girls
are absolutely paranoid about people (not that we blame them!).  We cannot
transfer them to another shelter, that was one of the conditions of their
release to us, but we have the space and the time.  The only thing we may
be lacking is the money to get all 18 (plus more to come!) of these babies
fixed and vaccinated.  If you want to make donations to our vet, here is
his name and address (please make checks payable to Mackenzie Pointe ANimal
Hospital and indicate that they are for the FURRY account).

Mark Lux, DVM
Mackenzie Pointe Animal Hospital
7227 Watson Road
St. Louis, MO  63119
314-353-0808

Or you can send checks payable to Imperial Animal Hospital (They're not set
up to handle an account for us) directly to us at:

FURRY
PMB #303
7301 Watson Road
St. Louis, MO  63119

Any advice about special care during and after pregnancy would be much
appreciated!
Kurt & Sara Petersen
FURRY (Ferrets Underfoot RUnning Round You)
http://www.furryferrets.org

Help raise money for the shelter!  Click on
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=5129