From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:48:53 -0500
>From:    Mary Jo <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I have a friend that has a female ferret in heat.  She wants to get her
>spade but the vet isn't comfortable spaying her while she is in heat.
>What can be done to bring her out of heat.  She has already been in heat
>for 3 weeks.

I'm no vet, but I'm looking at a ferret medical book by a very good
ferret vet.  She says "GnRH 20 mcg/ferret once,IM.  Used to terminate
estrus.  Give after ferret has been in estrus for a minimum of 10 days.
Repeat in 14 days if no response.  Perform complete blood cell count
to detect anemia if ferret has been in estrus 21 days or longer.  hCG
100IU/ferret once, IM.  Used to terminate estrus.  Same directions apply
as for GnRH."