Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 08:12:36 -0800
Hi Debbie

I'm sure you will get lots of ideas, and here are mine.

I have had 4 ferrets with insulinoma that were/are on pred. In all
cases the prescribed dose was twice a day with food. You might ask
the vet about this. In all cases the ferret had hind end weakness and
*could not* navigate the cage ramps/climbing, etc. They want to, they
just cannot.

I made a single level hospice setup for these ferrets so they had easy
access to food, water, and a potty box.

I used one of the wire playpens attached to the cage so the other
ferrets could visit and interact with their friend, but the insulinomic
ferret did not have to struggle with the cage set-up.

I put a thick dog blanket over the carpet and the pen on that. Blanket
was fleece side up and gave good footing. You could also use old
sheets, blankets etc. You want to protect carpet, or warm a cold floor.
Put bedding, sleep sacks etc in two corners, food and water in one
corner, potty box in the other corner. Toss in their toys. I used one
of the larger dog type litter boxes with very low entry and used paper
towels. If the little back legs don't work well, rolling on litter
makes it even harder, some ferrets just give up and go wherever is
comfortable. I love the dog boxes, very low, gently rolled front entry.

Expect accidents, be prepared with a clean change of bedding, floor
covering at least daily.

One warning with this set-up. I wanted to place a box with warm bedding
in one corner, but this gave my younger ferret a way to *over and out*
the playpen.

I glued the sticky side of Velcro to a box and placed it in the middle
of the pen. This kept the box from being moved close to the wall, even
then I kept a close eye on the box. The dog type potty pan is also
lower to prevent climbing escapes.

I hope these ideas help your little Snuffy.

My Isabella is currently in *hospice care*, and it gives me great joy
to see how well she *can* do the things she wants, as well as boss her
friend Bizzy around.

Just this morning I saw Isabella pull herself around the pen about 4
times, paw over paw while laying on her side. She clearly enjoyed this
little exercise routine, then snuggled in her sleepy sack for a very
long nap.

Ardith