From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:14:36 -0400
For me the use of herbs boils down to these points:

1. Which ones have substantiated useful effects?  (Using references like
the _Physician's Desk Reference for Herbal Medicines_ which does list
which ones work, including the substantiating studies among those studies
in the bibliography for each herb.)

2. Which ones are not counter-indicated by a medical condition of the
individual or by another medication being taken?  (Ditto for refs.)

3. Which ones do not have risks that make them too dangerous to try (For
examples, I would not try ephedra or licorice root.) (Again, ditto for
refs.)

4. Is using this in conjunction with the existing treatment okay with my
vet and any consultants who are involved if there is a confusing case?

I can not say that I agree with the constructs used to explain some forms
of alternative approaches, but there certainly are some alternative
approaches -- including a number of herbs -- which do bear out in
multiple physiological studies, so turning my nose up at them because I
don't follow those constructs would be illogical to me.

I think that it IS important that we realized that while the ferret
community has have folks selling "miracle cures" in the past, that
approach to posting differs greatly from someone who is willing to (and
often has) told people of risks and who works in conjunction with vets
rather than self-prescribing without vet input.  Mary is a cautious soul
who has not offered any cure-alls, who does read about risks and has
mentioned them readily in multiple posts, and who is open to learning.
This sets her far apart from some of the situations we've heard of here
in the past.  If someone is interested in trying that route and vet says
it's okay I'd much rather that person get info from someone who is honest
about risks than one who doesn't not list risks.

Anyone who is going to use herbs or try to treat anything with
supplements NEEDS references, or needs access to someone who uses
reputable references and takes BOTH the upsides and downsides into
account, just as a pharmacist is a truly integral part of life and health
for the standard meds we all wind up using.  (Heck, I had a pharmacist
save my life once when a physician prescribed something to which I am
allergic, and another as part of a group figuring out the best approach
(which turned out to be what was then a new cephalosporin) many years ago
when i got the old (very, very old) slow form of "flesh eating bacteria"
after an out-patient surgery.  Problems happen when the full picture is
avoided.

So, yes, we use herbs with the same sorts of considerations that are
involved when we use other medications.  Mostly, Steve and I use standard
meds, but if something can help we don't refuse to consider it.  Instead,
we consult reputable references and discuss it with our ferrets' health
professionals.