From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 19:51:13 -0700
Our ferrets, who have lived in a huge, (6 feet high) heavy, (wood framing
and 3 plywood floor/ceilings) old cage, since 1996, just got 2 sparkly,
new, SuperPet Fun-nel cages.  One is a 3 story, the other a 4.  They are
terrific cages overall, except...

There are some areas of concern.  The stands are not what you'd call
"up on leg".  They are kinda short, low enough to the floor, the ferrets
can reach the cage wire and climb to the top.  Once there, they are either
stuck until someone rescues them, or they use the cage top as a spring-
board to reach other things - the flood supply shelf, the top of their
refrigerator, and worst of all - get behind the refrigerator.  So one
cage is on a cabinet, the other on a table.

Another problem is (was) the wire points on the door.  There are about
1 inch pieces of wire that stick straight up on either edge of the door.
They keep the corners from being pulled inward by unhappy occupants.  In
this position (closed) they present no danger.  However --- when the cage
door is open, they present a terrible hazard.  As I replaced food/water/
litter, someone was always coming around and leaping up to climb in and
help.  The risk of running one of those wires into an eye or other facial
part was immense.  I've solved the problem by twisting those plastic
electrical wire connector thingies onto the wire points.  Know what I mean?
Those little jobbies that you screw two wires together with inside the
junction box.

The third thing is that the 4 story cage has 1 tube drop that's 18 inches.
That's a long way for a ferret to drop straight down.  Lightweight ones
may be able to brace themselves against the sides as they go down, but
that cage holds the big 4 and 4.5 boys, and they just sort of plummeted.
Once!  Now they only use the short drop side.

So - after paying for all this stuff, I couldn't use the stands, had to
fix the safety flaw, and need a new end panel with the tube opening closer
to the top.  Other than that, they are great cages.

The ferrets do play in the tubes, but not as much as they play in their
floor ones.  They are enjoying having hammocks too, as their old cage
didn't accomodate hammocks well.  They climb to all the shelves and the
hammocks are their safety nets.  For the first week, they transitioned
back and forth between the new cages and their old one.  The actually
didn't spend a night in the new ones until yesterday, when I moved the
old cage out.

Georgia - the left coast one...