From:
Jodi Semlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:03:24 +0000
Watching a loved one battle with an illness and possibly succumb to
death is horrible no matter if they are animal or human. I know you are
talking out of frustration, anger, and sadness when you say "I shoulda
listened when people said: Don't get ferrets! They will break your
heart, with all their illnesses." I would hope that you don't mean it.
If you pass up the experience to "live life" just because there may be
some bad mixed with the good then you end up with nothing in the end.
As for your baby -- there are other options

1. Do you live in a big metropolitan area? Maybe you can find another
vet in a "small" town -- they often charge less for care.

2. You just signed your fert up for insurance -- Take him to another
vet who has not treated him for this condition. If your current vet has
not submitted any claims, then they don't have to know that it is a
pre-existing condition. (As a doc, I don't promote insurance fraud --
BUT -- maybe there is a way to make it work for you)(Also, can your vet
make it look like you paid the bill, but you sign an agreement to hand
over the reimbursement check once it arrives?)

3. Will your vet trade services? I do this a lot with patients who
can't pay me. I have one patient who likes to cook my hubby and me
dinner every now and then. Think about what you could do for the vet
(that is if you have time to offer) Gardening, clean up around the
office, help with animals that he is treating. If you can't think of
anything, ask the vet what he might need help with.

4. This option is not the happiest one, but what is your fuzzies
quality of life if you do nothing? My grandpa had cancer -- he did the
chemo and Radiation. It made him horribly sick, for the last 3-4 months
of his life he was not there (not himself) and he deteriorated quickly.
Had he not been treated, yes, he would have still died from the cancer
but his quality of life would have been better for the time he had
left. Spoil your little guy and give him all the love you can while you
still have time with him. I am not saying not to have the vet take care
of your baby. Surgery may help him, it may not. The surgery may take
him from you sooner than if you were to let him be.

I hope that what ever you decide, it brings peace to your heart and
mind. I will keep your little guy in my prayers.

Jodi