From:
Andy Coghill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:07:23 -0500
Howdy all!

>The panting "Heh-heh-heh" done during play?

Not to cast suspicion -- I've never owned a fert that panted as a sound of
their innate repertoire -- but ferrets will pant if they are too hot (and
their temperature threshholds are less than ours).  Like dogs, pigs, and
many other mammals, they do not sweat and must disperse heat through their
mouths, so if your ferret is panting, the first thing that I would look at
is the temperature of their surroundings (thank goodness for my newfound
central air conditioning).

 -- Andy, Cody, Lily, Tripod Bob, Oscar, and Witzy