From:
Larry & Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:50:46 -0600
This is the latest update on Deano. I would be interested in some input on
Melissa's dilemma......
Gayle

Hello all, hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.  I'm going to share the
most recent letter I've received from the school.  While you read it
please keep in mind that from the beginning I offered to pay for Deano's
eye surgery, it was the school's idea to ask the students for the money
instead.  I tried to compromise, to come up with solutions to this
situation but the school wasn't interested.  They have continually
demanded, threatened and try to intimidate me.  They have ordered me to
pay the students the money, however they have no idea who gave and in what
amount.  Tell me where that money would go, the school didn't want to
except my money when I offered it now they need to answer for their choice.
I don't feel it's my job to rescue them, to save them especially with the
way they've tried to order me around.  They have never offered, nor would I
except, to pay me for the money I have paid out for Deano's care.

The students have seen Deano since the surgery.  Also I have absolutely no
idea what they are referring to on point #3.  I came to the school one day
after I quit to get my check.  It was not ever discussed nor intended as a
visit.  I went directly to the office, picked up my check and left.

I did speak with the mediator by phone, explained the situation and the
fact that I feel the school needs to clean up their own mess.  As far as
I'm concerned this is over.  Me going to mediation is not going to change
anything.  Deano is staying with us and the school can tell the students
why they made the choices they made.  I would love to tell the students the
truth of the matter, I don't believe they will get it any other way.  Even
if I told the Principal my feelings, again, it wouldn't make a difference.

When reading the letter I could tell all the responses she received from
all of you must have made a difference, even though she's obviously still
on some power trip and grasping at straws to win somehow.

Dear Ms. Mangen:

Neither of us has heard from you since Ms. Ronn's request for you to call
regarding the return of the ferret.  Students and their parents are
continuing to contact us, concerned and worried about "their" ferret.

As you know, they are very emotionally attached to Deano, especially after
they learned of his needed eye surgery.  Since they paid for this surgery
out of their own pocket, they have a very personal interest in his
well-being.

LET ME SUMMARIZE WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE RELEVANT ISSUES IN OUR DILEMMA:
 1.  You believe very strongly that Deano's needs are best served in your
     home.

 2. Our students contributed $225 for surgery for a ferret that they had
    every reason to believe belongs to them and their school.  In addition,
    the school has paid for veterinary care since last May for a total of
    $296.20.

 3. The students are concerned and worried.  Your one brief unscheduled
    visit did not allow them to see Deano.

PLEASE LET ME SUGGEST A RESOLUTION THAT SHOULD RESOLVE ALL OF THE ABOVE
ISSUES:

You will reimburse the students for the $225 eye surgery cost, which
included a 10% deduction from the veterinarian for a "school discount."
The school will not expect reimbursement for immunization, veterinarian
services, and medication costs totaling $296.20 that it has incurred since
May 3, 1999 for Deano's care.

You will schedule an appointment to bring Deano to school for a period of
two hours, probably over lunchtime, when all interested students will have
an opportunity to see him, but not have close physical contact with him.

We will explain to the students that Deano will be staying at your home and
that you have offered to reimburse them for the cost of the eye surgery.
We will handle the explanation in a way that will be supportive and
respectful to all parties involved.

WE HOPE THAT WE HEAR FROM YOU PROMPTLY AND THAT YOU ARE AGREEABLE TO THE
ABOVE RESOLUTION. If you are not, I would suggest that we utilize the Anoka
County Mediation Services. I have been in contact with xxxxxx from that
agency who said that they would provide services for us if we are unable to
come to an agreement.

Sincerely yours,

Lila Ronn                             Joseph Plantenberg
Principal                              Science Department Chair

--
See our little kritters at:
http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/panda/69