From:
Jen N Andre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 00:05:48 -0400
Melissa, please post some details of the research you based your ferret
menu on.  I am always trying to find out more about the nutritional needs
of my animals and if you have some scientific notes on raw chicken, bones,
mice and crickets I would love to read it.  I have no doubts that crickets
provide good protein, but I would worry about the possibility of parasites,
they aren't the cleanest creatures in the world... and chicken bones sound
pretty dangerous to be feeding any animal.

I read recently that 24 years of study (on pet foods and ferrets) by a
doctor with a masters in animal nutrition led him to recommend a cat or
ferret food containing chicken byproduct meal and or egg as the primary
protein source(36%), chicken or poultry fat as the primary fat source
(min22%) and rice flour or potato as the primary carbohydrate.  I went
through every cat, ferret and kitten food sold at the pet store I work
at and the only one that fit all the criteria was Eukanuba adult cat (I
believe Totally Ferret would fit the bill too, but we don't carry it).

I'd appreciate hearing what you based this on

Jen