From:
Gerri Himberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 06:41:29 -0800
I'm a little confused- there is a difference between "service" animals
and "therapy" animals. Therapy animals generally go into nursing homes
and/or hospitals/schools and provide comfort and physical stimulation
for the people they are visiting. Service animals accompany the people
they are certified to be with 24 hours a day and provide services
needed to function in daily life.

If someone has a certified "sevice" ferret I would be very interested
to know which organization certified the ferret, and what service the
ferret is certified for. I have used service dogs for the past 25
years, and the testing for the dogs is extensive to allow them access
to public places, and the dogs have to remain alert to their handler.
It would be interesting to know how that works with a ferret and how
the public reacts to allowing access- I have had issues getting the
dog in at times. I rely on them heavily to be able to get through the
day, and I can't imagine putting a tiny harness on a ferret:-)

Anyway- if someone is using a service ferret vs a therapy ferret,
please let me know. It will be an interesting conversation. LOL.

~ Gerri