Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 4 May 1994 11:09:11 -0400
To Tarra regarding flea products:

>I found this in addition to an article about a ferret who had
>stroke-paralysis like symtoms and a person responded saying it could have
>been due to anti-flea products.  I am wondering, along with this person,
>do we need to be aware that anti-flea products are life threatening to
>our furries?

>"I just read a post about ferrets not having any resistance to flea toxins.
>Can anyone verify or dispute this?  My own ferret seems to be doing ok
>when we give him a flea bath, though I was warned not to give him a
>flea bath too often."

       Tarra, there are many different types of flea products available to be
used on animals, some strong, some not so strong, some safe, some not.

        The three largest groups of flea products are the organophosphates, the
carbamates, and the pyrethrins.  Of the three, pyrethrins is the ONLY one that I
recommend for use on ferrets.  You can also use it on kittens or puppies.
Pyrethrins is a natural product of chyrsanthemums, although now a lot of
pyrethrin compounds are synthesized in laboratories.  However, they are all
safe, and I have not seen any problems with their use in ferrets.

        Organophosphates, and carbamates on the other hand, can be toxic if
applied in high doses.  The signs of organophosphate toxicity is the
paralysis-like syndrome that you described above, in addition to dilated pupils,
drooling, loud stomach rumbles, etc.  Severely intoxicated animals may stop
breathing, or may have long-lasting neurologic effects.  Organophosphates, in
highly potent concentrations, are the leading component of nerve gas.  WQhile
adult dogs and cats may tolerate this material externally for the killing of
fleas, smaller animals such as ferrets are highly susceptible to overdosage.

        If it doesn't say pyrethrin on the label, put it back.  For best
results, call your vet for instructions prior to using any flea product on your
ferret.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000