From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 13:05:29 -0800
>From:    "March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Califbustafertifornia politics
>The first Ferret Legalization bill was authored by Jan Goldsmith, a
>Republican from SoCal who was on Willie's "excement list" to such a degree
>that Willie decreed that *nothing* with Jan's name on it would ever become
>law.

Your arguments makes it more apparent that concentrating on Republicans
alone is probably not the best approach.  You need to find a House
Republican and a Senate Democrat to get majority party in both houses as the
sponsors.  Boost the measure by pushing it as a money saver.  An easy way
for the government to cut the budget harming no-one.  Exactly what all state
and federal governments are looking for.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: food debate
>In all of the food debates I have never heard anyone mention "KAYTEE
>Forti-diet". ... How is it compared to other ferret foods?

We only mention by brand name the foods we recommend.  Don't need any
problems from companies we decline to promote.  We do talk about foods in
clear plastic bags that we don't recommend by that description.

Totally Ferret is a growth formula.  It is too "potent" for some ferrets.
We use various Iams products and Eukanuba for those that TF puts too much
weight on.  We also tend to avoid feeding TF to any DEW or albino ferrets we
happen to be showing since the chicken fat in it can turn the white coats
yellow.

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: scales, milk
>Mr Kllian: Regarding the number of shelter/rescue ferrets I think your
>"only" must be different from my "only".
...AND...
>From:    Rochelle Newman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: replies to various posts
>... there's been a LOT of shelters having to close this year due to record
>high numbers. [...] but I fear this may be the start of what will be a
>serious overpopulation problem.

The only way to get the ferret population to absolutely no shelter ferrets
is to either close all shelters or eliminate all ferrets.  I wish life could
be different.

Shelters that close to new ferrets are not the same as those that just close
down.  Some shelters have stopped admitting new animals because they only
have limited resources or funds to care for a small number of ferrets.  We
can only assume that after those animals are placed they will begin taking
in more.  Other shelters are temporarily closing because the owners are
moving to a new location.  Others are not taking in animals because they
have active ECE infections.  The best way to get it out of your house is to
shut down for a while and not take in any more animals.  In some instances
this quarantine period can last for 6 months or so.  With the new outbreaks
of ECE throughout the country, it's easy to see why there possibly could be
fewer shelters open at any given time.

Ferrets are still growing in popularity.  With that, more ferrets will end
up becoming unwanted after an impulse purchase and after unforeseen
situations.  It will happen.  We have had ferrets turned in because a child
purchased a ferret without the parents' permission and the parents made them
give it up; two people were divorcing and they didn't want to fight over the
custody of the ferret and gave it up; a military person was being stationed
overseas or in an FFZ; and the stories go on and on.

There is usually a problem in shelters in states where ferrets have become
legal a few years after the legalization.  Expect problems in a few years in
Michigan and Massachusetts.  Another problem area is there are breeders out
there who have been "gearing up" for California legalizing ferrets.
Expecting another gold rush in California, they bought up numerous breeding
pairs.  I imagine they have regretted their greed since California didn't go
legal.  These "extra few" ferrets are probably gumming up the works in
several shelters in the Southwest and West.

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Stoats?, Vet Question

Ermines have a distinct white tip.  It is only a short portion of the tail.
The white and black meet at a distinct end.

Dark-eyed white stripe ferrets have dark stripes running up their backs with
a few dark hairs usually sprinkled in the coat mixed with the white.  Its
not usually a clean distinct change from black to white.  There are some DEW
patterns with dark tail tips only.  It still is a blurry rather than
distinct transition.

Stoats/weasels also have a more slender lither appearance.  Ferrets tend to
appear more "bottom heavy" with rear legs appearing larger in relation to
the front compared to weasels.

But it is funny to see all the ferret groups/breeders/shelters that use a
drawing of either a weasel or mink instead of a ferret.

>From:    Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: laxitive dose & shelters
>3.  'Collector' owners
>These people may go on for years working with these animals, then one day,
>either something they have no control of happens, or they become burned out.

>People who do not know their limitations, can't say no to another incoming,
>or think no one meets their standards for animal care and won't adopt out
>are a hazard to those pets they are trying to save.

We're very glad you said this Pam.  It is all too true unfortunately.  There
are way too many of what you call type 3.  It is a very easy trap to fall
into for both shelters and breeders.  Sometimes they'll notice they slipped
from 2 to 3 and then "cut" their numbers.

>From:    "M. JOYT" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Toys in cage?!
>In it, it says that ferrets should not have toys in their cages because they
>could get hurt by swalling or chewing on them.

There are no absolute answers.  We agree with much of that book but disagree
with parts.

We usually try to provide ferrets toys in their cages.  It is the types of
toys that must be carefully considered.  Ferrets often love squeek toys but
these are not toys that should be kept in cages - they can be chewed and
cause blockages.  We prefer bird-type toys hanging inside the cages.  All
kinds of different ones in all the different cages.  Ping pong balls are
usually safe.

If any toy you try looks like the ferrets are managing to break or chew into
it then take it out of the cage and put a different one in.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]