From:
Jennifer McClanahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:55:08 EST
This is for the poster out there who asked about deaf ferrets.  I
currently have 2 deaf ferrets, and 1 partially deaf ferret.  Honostly, i
dont think they have a problem with it.  They get around just fine.  I do
have to check there ears for cleaning a little more often than the hearing
ferrets though.

Just make sure that when you go to approach or handle your little deaf
ferret, that he/she can see you before being picked up.  If there asleep,
i will usually lightly rub there belly until they wake up, or until they
atleast wiggle around, and know that i am there.

As far as behavior, heck, i love the little deaf ones... To me, they
sometimes seem a little sweeter (dont tell the others i said that) and
they seem a little more persistant.  And during play, there sometimes a
little noiser.  They make different sounds than the hearing ferrets.  My
Delilah likes to squeel, she makes loud EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sounds.  And
Casey makes like this low pitched doggie growl type sound.  And sometimes,
i can hear them bark.

Anyways, the main thing about your little deaf ferret, Love it.  That's
what really matters.

Jennifer
http://www.geocities.com/beadeddrum/CuddleyCritters.html