From:
drossell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:05:06 -0600
I am writing this on behalf of a ferret rescue/half-way house that does not
have access to email.  The rescue is located in Des Moines, IA, and is
currently in a state of transition, forcing the shelter operator to move the
ferrets out of his home.  They are temporarily being boarded at his local
vet's office, at a substantial cost to the rescue, but all five need
permanent homes.  (The vet's office is taking care of them, so they are not
being neglected.  But boarding isn't an optimal long-term situation for the
ferrets, and it may be awhile before the shelter is able to start accepting
ferrets again).  There are three 8-month-olds (two albino males, and one
silver female) and two 4-month-olds (both sable females).  The 4-month-olds
were taken in by the rescue because of prolapsed rectums; both have already
had their surgery to correct this problem.  I don't know the history of the
8-month-olds, but I do know that the silver female is a bit of a nipper, and
would need an experienced ferret-home; the other four are all well-behaved,
and all are neutered and descented except for one of the 8-month-olds (I am
not sure which of the three is still whole).  I do not believe they
necessarily need to go together, or even in pairs.

The rescue operator's name is Eddie Lathrop; his phone number is
(515) 646-2121  (BIG -- I do have permission to post this).  He is asking
for an adoption fee of $60.  I am afraid I do not have any additional
information beyond what I've said above, and I'm a few hours away so I have
not actually met Mr. Lathrop or his ferrets.  But if you would like more
information, you can email our local shelter operator, Suzanne Hoofnagle,
who has been in communication with Mr. Lathrop about these ferrets (and who
asked me to make this post).  Her email address is

Rochelle Newman