From:
furpeopleweyr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 03:28:19 -0800
other things, the message following this entreaty.  I am passionate
about the massive over population of all pets.  You can not blame just
commercial breeders of any type of pet.  There are also the backyard
breeders, the accidental breeders, the unwanted/unkempt pets who have
become 'feral' breeding on their own.  And its not just the breeding
that is responsible.

Every time someone buys a pet from a place who gets their 'stock' from a
mill, puppy mill, ferret mill, etc, you encourage those people to create
more.  The all might dollar speaks volumes.  Buy one, they make two more.
It is insanity and it is out of control.

Please, please, please, if you are thinking of a pet, think rescue or
shelter.  Don't let your dollars encourage this horrific problem.

And now the reply I sent:

Thirty years ago I raised and trained Doberman Pinscher dogs.  Then
totally on accident, I wound up rescuing them.  In one year we took in
almost 100 dogs.  That was 30 years ago.  After a year of rescue, I will
never breed anything again.

Now I work with a couple of ferret different rescues in our area.  Last
year in this city of almost 2 million people, close to 400 ferrets were
given up as unwanted.  City and County officials euthanased (read that
kill) over 1,000 animals a week here, because they have no home.  I
implore you,  p l e a s e   d o n ' t   m a k e   m o r e !

I realize you are not in our area, but this is a universal problem.  Not
just here, but in every city, county, and country in the world.  Please,
please, please, think this over carefully.

Sincerely,
Brenda