From:
"Melissa A. Durfee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 17:44:00 +0000
>From:    Jerry Jackowski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Did I miss something or what?
>You need to stay in contact with reality.  All animals are unpredictable
>ferret are no exception.  I think sugar coating or hiding the facts is
>just as much of an injustice to potential ferret owners, as the
>non-informed sales associates at the pet stores.

I agree completely.  Ferrets communicate with their teeth much more than
other companion animals and it's something people need to be aware of.
Most ferrets, especially young ones, need to be trained not to nip; it's as
normal and integral as litter-training.  Maybe all the persecution ferrets
have received via local governments and the media has made us a little
over-sensitive to the issue of ferret temperment.

Regardless of the editor's column, I was still disappointed with the
Ferrets USA Annual.  There were several photos of ferrets in wood chips
(including one in an advertisement) and the photo of the ferret with the
ripped toy was a really stupid mistake on their part.  The Marshall Farms
article sounded an awful lot like a plug to me.

-mel