From:
Nancy Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:22:04 -0800
I enjoyed Sandy's story about taking Jasmine to the store in her sleeve,
and just had to share this story...

When I got my first ferret, Percy, I used to carry her around in my
pocketbook.  Occasionally I would stick my finger in to check on her and
give her a quick scritch.

One day I was in Walgreens (a drugstore) with Percy.  I stuck my finger in
and she did something particularly endearing, so I chuckled and said "Hiya
Perce".  Note that "Perce" sounds amazingly like "Purse".  I looked back up
to see a mother staring at me in horror.  She immediately jerked her gaze
away, quickly grabbed her young son, and exited the store.  I nearly fell
over laughing. ;)

I can still picture her expression to this day.  And can just imagine what
she must think of that "crazy lady I saw caressing and talking to her
pocketbook".  I was in college at the time, and probably wearing this old,
worn-out men's trenchcoat that I thought was just too cool.  That was in
late '88.  Percy has since gone to wait at the Bridge.  I miss her dearly.

- Nancy

-----
Nancy Stephens
Newark, DE