From:
stephanie ann maehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 10:11:40 -0700
Dr. Williams, please help us!  About six weeks ago I brought home a four
month old bundle of energy and affection, Jake.  Marty and Sophie, my
precious 2 year olds, promptly went to dominating Jake the first day but
then their energy level fell and on the third day, I noticed green diarrhea
from both Sophie and Marty (Jake was in a cage and had normal stools).  I
took them straight to the vet who gave them subcutaneous fluids and
amoxycillin.  I kept Sophie and Marty in a cage in a separate room from Jake
for a week.  Sophie and Marty's stools were almost back to (semi-hard with
some undigested food).  I put them back in the room with Jake and within a
day and a half, Sophie and Marty lost weight, became extremely dehydrated,
and had green diarrhea again.  I took them to the vet again and they managed
to get blood samples from Marty.  The blood test showed that the liver is
involved.  Sophie and Marty were both hospitalized for 3 days.  When I
brought them home, I kept them separated from Jake and followed Meg
Carpenter's 72 hour regimen.  They got much better, i.e.  eating normally
and their stools have been the most normal I've seen in six weeks.  They
were playful, bright-eyed, and gaining weight.  They were separated from
Jake for 12 days and I tried putting them back together on Sunday.  They
seemed perky and happy to be back in their own room, out of their cage.
Sophie was eating and drinking regularly but her energy level is down today.
Marty is drinking but doesn't appear to be too interested in food.  Their
stools were a little runny this morning, but not green.  I noticed in one of
their stools some hair which I don't think is too out of the ordinary with
their new winter coats coming in.  I've separated them from Jake again so I
can keep a close eye on their eating and drinking.  I'm completely
distressed at their reaction to Jake.  Jake has always remained healthy and
quite energetic.  I'm really not sure what to do.  I'm planning on keeping
them separated for most of the day and then letting them play together in
their room for a couple of hours at night.  Is this a good idea at all?  Are
Sophie and Marty just stressing over the newbie?  Is Marty so busy
conducting dominance play that he's not interested in food?  Will I ever be
able to put all three of them back together?  Do I have to get rid of Jake
and if so, who would take an apparent carrier of ECE?  Please, help us--I
love all my ferrets so very much and I want all three of them to be happy
and healthy.  I had no idea that bringing another into the family would
distress my little ones so.  Thank you,

Stephanie, Sophie, Marty, and Jake