From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 1994 12:32:29 -0400
Re banning pet stores from selling ferrets (Chris VonSeggern):

I think I understand the motivation here, as I _hate_ hearing stories
about ferrets kept in poor/lonely/dark/boring/inadequate conditions.
However, my feeling is that it is a worse evil to begin banning stores
from selling this and that.  I think that it would be much more
appropriate (and preserve our notion of freedom here in America) if we
instead worked hard on an attitude change, and also educate people,
perhaps even going as far as boycotting or otherwise annoying stores
which don't educate about proper care.  There is a huge difference
between a boycott and an outright ban.  I suppose this could start a
debate on politics; I don't really want to start such a debate, but I
had to respond to what I consider a dangerous notion (:-), that of
banning pet sale.

Re Pepe La Pew:

Yes, Pepe (the cartoon skunk for those not in the know) provides a
good image of that particular ferret dance move where the individual
launches him/her self on all fours at once.  I laugh particularly hard
when Dors (fixed 24 oz sable female stinkpot) plays with one of her
stuffed animals, a stuffed green parakeet about 1/3 as big as she is,
and grabs it and bounces off to her treasure trove in the Pepe La Pew
manner.  My mom put it well: this looney face, with a piece of game
dangling crazily from it, bouncing across the room.  She has to hold
her head high to avoid the large piece of game from dragging on the
floor.

Todd Cromwell
Behalf of Dors and Seldon