From:
"Tracy L. Tunnison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:12:49 -0400
Hi all!  It's me again.  I figured since I already introduced myself, now I
can ask a question:)

I work as a vet tech (unlicensed) for a veterinarian in Greenville, Mi.  I
also breed/rescue ferrets as I said before.  Now, for the question.  I have
a little jill, born on 4/22 so she is about 15 1/2 weeks old.  The mom was
given to my shelter in season, and at the time I didn't have a vasectomized
hob, so even though she had cataracts, I had to breed her (too far gone to
spay).  She only had two kits, which I planned on neutering and adopting
out.  The boy in the litter died at 5 weeks of age for no apparent reason
(ferret SIDS?).  At that time the baby jill stopped growing.  I tried
everything to fatten her up, even her tail is skinny.  Well, I decided to
try a fecal digestive test since I had seen similar symptoms in dogs.  The
test came back lacking in digestive enzymes.  I ordered (actually my boss
did for me) some Prozyme.  My question is what dose should she be given and
how should I give it?  She eats mostly hard food (eats tons!) and gets baby
mash once daily.  Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
The Prozyme should be in tomorrow.  I also have her on Albon, just to see if
it helps any.

By the way, she only weighs .3# (yes, only 1/3 of a pound!!) but plays with
the bigger (but younger) kits just fine.  They seem to know they can't be as
rough with her as with each other, but she gives them what for!

Here is a profile on one of my available adoptees:

Easel Weasel was rescued from another ferret breeder.  She was born with
only three legs (rear right leg ends just below the knee).  The breeder
showed her to me and asked if I would take her, otherwise he would put her
down.  Of course I said I would take her, but asked him to keep her with mom
til weaned.  He agreed and she is now spayed and even did her first weasel
war-dance the other day.  What a sight to see!!!!  It made my heart warm to
see her so happy:) She is a chocolate with the most beautiful, sweet face.
Right now she is at the "nippy age", but I hope to have her out of that
soon.  She was born 5/27/96 and loves to follow me around.  She plays fine
with other ferrets and is "mostly" litter trained.  If anyone in Michigan or
close enough to drive is interested, you can e-mail me directly at

Thanks for letting me use up space!!!
Tracy, Cooter, Talyn-bach, Easel Weasel, etc, etc, etc....