From:
"Irena Arthur (OPS|schwanke)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 11:46:55 EST
Dear Ann,
I hope that you do not take this as a flame, just another animal lovers
opinion.  There were some things in your post that I agree with and others
that I do not but I agree that it is not for me or anyone else to judge,
however, wrong or right I have been known to, as my SO would say, stick my
nose in other people's business.

The dogs: I can sympathize with you about the potty training and chewing.  I
am having similar problems myself as our dogs are only a year old and we are
away at work 10 hours a day as well.  Sometimes they can hold it and
sometimes they can't so we penned in a fourth of our basement but that is
the extent of their confinement.  They are let out in the morning and then
out and stay out (outside to play and go potty or inside to eat and nap)
until we go to work the next morning.  I try to keep things out of their
reach but sometimes I forget and they chew something up.  However, I do not
think that this is a reason to keep them locked up.  I knew the ups and
downs when I got them and must therefore pay the price for my negligance
(not putting my stuff away).  Since I am the adult and they are, in my
opinion, the children I am responsible for their actions and must also
suffer the consequences of those action.  I believe that if I am not able or
willing to accept these responsibi- lities/consequenses without diminishing
their quality of life then I should not have them.  Your dogs may not have
LIVED their lives any other way but if they go outside to play or what have
you I do not believe that they do not KNOW that there is something more to
life.

The ferrets: As for the ferrets...ditto.  I would also like to add that I
had the exact same problem about four years ago but I lived in a mobile
home.  I obtained Squeaky through a local radio station.  He was found at an
industrial site and when numberous annoucements failed to turn up the owner
I went and picked him up.  My trailor had a lot of oversized holes around
the water and gas lines and he kept getting out of the house.  I would cover
up one hole and he would find another.  He was a born escape artist and I
could not even manage to keep him in his cage at night.  I finally realized
that it was a losing battle and for his sake I gave him to a close friend
that lived fairly close by.  She had two ferrets at the time and I think in
the long run he was happier with the outcome and I could still visit all the
time.  I gave Squeaky up because I loved him.  I could not guarentee his
safety unless I kept him caged all the time but I wanted more for him.  I
didn't want him to spend his life on the inside looking out!  I would rather
have ALL my animals dead than unhappy because I believe in QUALITY of life
not QUANTITY (myself included).  My animals do not "belong" to me because no
one owns life, my sole purpose is to feed, love and protect them and in
return they stay with me and let me share in their lives.  For an animal
that has never been on its own protection may mean confinement but there is
a limit to everthing.  I believe in letting them experience life even if
that means taking a risk once in a while!

As for the small animals, well, I guess I can't say much about them provided
that they have adequate living space.  Although my six year old daughter has
a hamster, Honey.  He is a sweet little old man and he gets around but she
doesn't take him out everyday and she hears about it.  Even at six I believe
that she HAS to understand that she wanted him and now his welfare and
happiness is HER responsibility.  His mate died about 1-1/2 ago and it is up
to her to provide companionship for him now because I will not buy another
one.  Why?  Because if I have to get on her about playing with him then she
is not ready for the responsibility nor does she deserve him.  She will NOT
be getting another hamster!  I can't understand some kids today!  I wish
that that statement did not include my own but when I was a kid I played
with my hamster so much that he played during the day and slept at night!
The birds...mine don't like to be bothered by us much either but I still let
them out!  I just close the bedroom door, open the cage and they fly around
for a few hours and usually go back in their cage by themselves.  I believe
that they are happy just being together, although it still bothers me that
the weenies act like they don't know me or I might kill them when I clean
their cage or feed them!

The rescues: I don't know.  I would have taken them, too.  If for no other
reason than the hope that I could bring them around and if by chance I
couldn't I would still keep them and provide the necessities and as much
freedom as possible and just pray that I didn't screw up by doing so.  I do
believe that in some cases, if animals could verbally communicate, they
would tell us that they would rather be dead than live the lives that we
(humans) have chosen for them I just pray that I do not make that mistake
and that if I do they (the animals) and God will forgive me for bringing
such sorrow upon them.

It is not for me to say that you should give your animals up but I ask you
to consider their quality of life before you take in anymore.  When
considering taking an animal into my home and heart it is irrelevant what I
want.  I ask myself can I do what it takes to make this animals life a
healthy happy one and still maintain the quality of life of those that I
already care for.  If the answer is no, then I know that I cannot take it
for the animals sake but we CAN all sacrifice until the animal is well
(assuming they are sick or to be destroyed) and we can find a good home with
people that I know and trust and I can visit.  I have done this many times
and I sleep well at night knowing that they are with good people who can
give them what I couldn't.

God Bless and Love to All,
       Irena...Willow, Rupert, Honey, Blueberry, Lily, Dexter, Emily, Lucy
and Chelsea's mom.  (they are few but they are free)